Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wed Mar 6: Nails and Gnocchi

Fitbit Activity: 10789 steps taken, 47 floors climbed, 4.5 miles traveled, 2085 calories burned, 565 active score

Started the day with a over due manicure and pedicure.  I have been walking by places and had picked one rather nearby to try out.  It was an okay service.  I can still feel cuticle bumps on my hands but the lady didn't want to trim more, she thought they would get irritated.  Okay.  But then when the bill came it was $41 instead of the advertised $39.  I pointed that out but the lady simply said she would tell the manager. Well, I'm not going back there again. I can go to the Back Bay, be surrounded with wonderful shops and stores, and get the same treatment for between $30 and $35! So that is just what I'm going to do.  I hope what I got done will last a week or so.

I had a facetime call with DS and we are completely caught up with the paperwork now.  He needs to pay his DMV fee and deposit a few checks.  I'm hoping he will send photos of the yard soon too.  I got to see my friend too - the one staying at our place helping with my mom.

Then I rushed to Porter Square for my cooking class on Risotto and Gnocchi.  I took the class with the daughter of DH's friend - it was a nice class.  We decided to take another one!  The risotto took a lot of time and was delicious.  

Risotto
1 c chopped onion, scallion or leeks
2 c aborio rice
1 c white wine
butter, hot broth grated cheese

Saute onions in 3 T butter until soft.  Add rice and cook about three minutes.  Add wine.  When wine is absorbed slowly add broth a ladle at a time stirring constantly.  Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.  When the rice if fully cooked add options.  Finish with up to 8 T butter and more than 3 T grated cheese.

Options:
Vegetable broth - roasted eggplant
Chicken broth - fontina and tomato
Mushroom broth - mushrooms
Add meat or really any other vegetables you have on hand!

The gnocchi wasn't what I expected - it was easy to make and something I'm sure I will make again.

Gnocchi
1 lb ricotta cream
2 eggs
1 c grated cheese
1 c cooked spinach or chard chopped well and drained with garlic
salt and pepper
start with about 2 c all-purpose flour - add if more needed

In a bowl mix both cheese with spinach, salt and pepper.  

Add eggs and mix well.  

Slowly mix in flour until you can turn a slightly sticky dough on a board and gently knead to form a smooth dough.  

Roll in a snake and cut in consistent lengths so about 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch.  

Can freeze at this stage or cook about 3.5 minutes in boiling salted water.

We made brown butter and sage sauce for the gnocchi - but pesto or tomato sauce would be wonderful too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!