Time is passing so quickly for me now. I was sure I had recorded our meals (DodgeEats blog) every evening, but if I did they disappeared so I had to recreate them today.
On the Sewing Front:
1 of 3:
I enjoyed listening to StashBandit https://stashbandit.net/category/blog/- Diane Harris's talk last Sunday about using scraps. She has been hosting these talks in hopes I think of getting more speaking gigs. I wish I had more guild connections to get her more jobs! I'm not wild about using monofilament thread for bindings, but you know it was a long time ago that I tried doing that, so perhaps I should try again with her. Probably the thread is made better than it was back when I tried it. Her hints and tips during the talks have been very good to hear. I goofed and was on a walk while her zoom was presented, so I took lots of phone photos - difficult to see on the computer now - while I was walking. Here are a few:
2 of 3:
I also took a zoom handquilting class demo by Jessica Wohl | Piece by Piece: Beginning Hand Piecing https://www.jessicawohl.com/ hosted by Shakerag Workshops http://www.shakerag.org in Tennessee. She was very clear with showing her methods of hand piecing. She does not tie any knots but she does trace the stitching line on both sides of each piece of fabric (unless it is an improv piece). She puts her needle and checks both sides before proceeding with sewing. She loads the needle with several stitches, then straightened the fabric and takes a back stitch before going on. So each line of stitching is reinforced very well. Instead of cutting fresh fabric or getting new supplies, I used several tumbler pieces I had left over from an old project and sewed four pieces together and I used some needles and thread left by my mom. The seams are very sturdy. I think I need to sew a few more together to really remember this method. I forgot to ask her if she ever washes her pieces sewn this way. Her examples were very art quilty so I am not sure.
For a close up click on https://www.jessicawohl.com/
For this new class series, I decided I would make a little quilt for our little dog out of the class blocks. So instead of making four or six blocks each week, I planned on making one or two blocks - and then putting them together for Buffy. However, already, it turns out the weekly blocks finish at different sizes. So I will need to spend a little more time figuring out how to put the blocks together.
Week 1 of 7:
The first Log Cabin blocks were to have a red center, show contrast between the two sides, and using 2.5 inch strips. I have a bunch of strips that have black and white only - and then green, blue, and purple. So I was going to be using those. Lauren was showing the sew and then cut only the side you are next going to sew method (rather than cut ahead and then sew). Really helps to remind you what side to sew on next - and saves trimming time too.