Monday, April 16, 2018

Leah Day's Explore Walking Foot Quilting: My "Rainbow Log Cabin" Part 9

So now, if you are following along, I am working on the concentric squares that go around each of the four larger blue blocks in my quadruple Irish Chain quilt.  I am following Leah Day's directions for the Rainbow Log Cabin out of her book and the QAL.  Exploring Walking Foot Quilting.

It is hard to believe how much more comfortable I am with quilting this piece now.  I have been hearing for a long time that one needs to actually do something to learn it (rather than reading and thinking about it), and again this is true.

The quilting is not perfect.  I suspect quilters and non-quilters alike will see the imperfections.  Some will point it out to me.  That is what has stopped me from proceeding down this path before.  But now I just feel like this is something I want to do.  And I want to keep some of the quilts too.

So today I have quilted three concentric squares around one of the four larger blue blocks in the center of the piece.

1.  I used one inch painters tape to mark and then sew a square one inch away from the first square.



It took me 18 minutes to do that stitching.

2.  Then I decided to add another square that was 1/2 inch away from the just completed square.  I used the 1/2 inch masking tape and it worked well.



That square took 20 minutes.

3.  Then I used the walking foot guide to stitch another line one inch away from the last completed square.  In the corners I put small pieces of painters tape to show me when to stop and pivot the piece.  



That took 16 minutes.  (When I made the last turn the guide got moved, and I decided to move to correct the spacing when I got to the corner.  I think I should have just left the line straight even though it wasn't one inch.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!