I have had several of their books here (checked out from the library) - and have been exchanging emails with one of the ladies who is attending the workshop too. She received 100 pieces of fabric (scraps and fat quarters) in Freddy colors from one of her friends and started by washing and ironing. So I did that too - only I had to buy fabric but that was okay. I thought I was clever as I cut a 2 inch strip from each piece of fabric....
What I didn't remember was that I should have been cutting a variety of width strips....
I re-read the books and looked on line to see how to quickly do some of the parts - and what size people cut their strips and pieces.
I decided the spike part was what I would start with as Gwen suggests starting with 2" x 6" pieces - I figured I could use the strips I already had made.
|Spikes made by other attendee. Notice |
she has same theme fabric or black and white in all.
Now I spent a ton of time looking at the pattern. I didn't like the way it seemed so much fabric would be wasted. Why couldn't I just put the fabric together, draw a line and sew? Seemed then I would get two spikes. Maybe the second one would be oriented the other way so I could just save them for another project.
I found some scraps and tested my plan - it would not work. Doing that there are two wide pieces at the bottom and it sort of forms a V...
|My Untrimmed spikes|
The books does say to be sure to cut the fabric in the same orientation - it doesn't say to not put the fabrics good sides together as usual - but one has to be sure to cut the individual or the groups of fabric so it's all facing the same direction. I messed up on one piece (most of my fabric does not have a right or wrong side).
These pieces are ending up being very small... Looking at the examples I can understand why the spikes are put in as accents not as something that goes along the full quilt. I've done a bunch doing the pretty much 2" x 6" pieces - I'll have to cut these down so they are useable.... In one of the books Gwen says they will be 4.5" inches wide so that is what I will shoot for.
And I just relooked at the class list and spikes aren't even on the list of parts to premake.... Ugh!
|A non-example of using too many varieties.....|
I'm thinking I made a mistake and should have used less variety for the background parts. I was so pleased that I had so many pieces of black and white/ white and black. I think I should have only used black or black on white - the spikes are not showing up as much I thought they would.
Hmm I'll have to think of how to proceed...
My color confidence is gone though now - I have only a few days before I leave for the workshop. I need more parts done before the class meets to make best use of the time.
If I didn't have the log cabin blocks my colors would be yellow, orange, and black or brown - maybe some green and blue in the background a little. I don't think I have time to prepare parts in all these colors though.....