Thursday, February 4, 2021

WIP: Finally some quilt piecing! 3-D Bow Tie Blocks

I have been picking fabric, cutting and sewing blocks!

3-D bow tie blocks in zoom class with Lauren Kingsland. I missed the handout for the block, but here are the directions for how to make this kind of block: https://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/3d-bow-tie-quilt-block.html

This was a really fun block to make. Just cut five pieces of fabric the same size and pin and sew three seams!  My pieces are 5 inches square so after sewn, each block is 9.5 inches.

I ended up starting with a charm pack and then adding fabric in green, pink, purple, aqua. I used three different fabrics, but the centers are all yellow. My only rule was to use either three or four colors for the four-patch part of the block.


This shows the rough layout of the blocks for the project:


Only twelve bow tie blocks are needed. There will be six full squares in the middle and then different triangles to fill in the sides and corners. Setting triangles - sides made from one square cut into four triangles QST, corners cut in half from a square HST.   (This site has a helpful chart to figure the sizes to cut.  https://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/setting-triangles.html).  She said with borders the quilt will finish at 50x60 (before the borders it will be roughly 38x51. I guess she is planning on the top and bottom borders to be wider than the side borders.  That works for me!

I was thinking of having the solid blocks in the center be a different color fabric than the outside. I found these possible backgrounds in my stash...  I'll have to arrange the blocks so the purple sections are not on the dark blue background if I decide to use the two tones...

Other people in the class had more controlled color choices. One decided to her red and white quilt would just have four-patches but the solid blocks will all have appliqued hearts. Such fun to see the different ways people are going with the project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!