Friday, January 29, 2021

Weekly Roundup 4: EBHQ Unlocking the Joy in Scraps Quilting Lecture and Hand Piecing Class and Other Not-Quilting Things

 Checking in Week 4

I put the two quilting things at the top...

Attended a zoom lecture "Unlocking the Joy in Scraps" hosted by East Bay Heritage Quilters by Jil Fisher from Pie Lady Quilts. She discussed her design process and plan for using up the scraps from a quilt immediately in a second quilt.  She even made a few quilts from the scraps remaining after the second quilt as made.  Her website has photos of some of the quilts, but the discussion of how she made things was very interesting to hear.  https://pieladyquilts.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-closet-game.html

As an aside she usually uses solids on the fronts of her quilts, but patterned fabric on the backs!

Each quilt made to use up the scraps from the previous quilt!

Also, attended a zoom demo and QAL about hand piecing an on point quilt project with 3-D bow tie blocks lead by Lauren Kingsland.  It was a small group, and will continue for a few weeks. I aim to make at least a few blocks for that! And will see if I can get needles and thread so I can try out the hand stitching part.

She likes patterns in her fabric!  Very traditional feel in the quilt is she having us work on.  Her web page shows other very fun Kolam quilts. I bet a class in that would be very relaxing.


Not Quilting

Walking:  Today walked 2.4 miles.  Saw a rainbow when I first started the walk today (Friday 1-29-2021).  So far this week (starting Monday have walked 13.1 miles) and 96.16 miles so far in 2021!


Also saw a rainbow on 1-23-21 - first thing in the morning.  Beautiful! 
And I could almost see both ends!!

Feeling much better than last week except for Wednesday visit to dermatologist.  He burned off several pre-cancerous areas.  First time he has done on my back - yuck!  

So exercise sessions getting better again.  Got some 15 lbs weights that have changed things up, made things challenging again. And also made the 10 lb weights seem very light!

Had a few days of eating healthily - no extra sugar.  But back to extra sugary treats.  Will try again.  Made some new to me meals.  Made a roast pork in the instant pot - starting with a piece of frozen meat. I have enough milk and carrots and pantry foods, so hopefully will pick some new recipes to try.  I enjoy the whole process of cooking and meals when I have time to think about them and change things up a little (but not like they do on the Netflix's Show Best Leftovers Ever).

Signed up for a zoom cooking class from a local company.  They will deliver all the food we need to make the meal!

Also, I signed up for a trial subscription to Milk Street about a month ago, but this week started getting - or started noticing the emails telling me about free asynchronous cooking classes - it's mostly reading articles, a few videos and then doing recipes.  They have some live classes too - that said they were for a fee - but when I clicked they said free.  So on Sunday I'll be taking a soft cheese making class - and I signed up for several different classes before the trial runs out.  If I like them will keep the subscription I guess for a year.  Would be nice if our son - or even husband would take with me!

Also on the online education side of things, we signed up for five classes thru The Great Courses.  They were having a sale so each was $25.  I picked the ones about Celtic History, Viewing Art, and Living in Ancient Times, while my husband picked North American Birding and Improving Writing. His cousins have liked listening to these while they are driving trips - in the old days that is - when driving trips were possible!

Worked on getting two boxes of papers gone thru, filed, typed in, scanned, in box to shred.  So many more boxes to go thru.  But any progress will help.  Husband took the boxes I had put out to Goodwill so there is an empty spot in the living room!

Still no vaccine appointment.


My New Way to Cut Avocado

Usually take the knife at this point and try to pull the seed out....  Wait.....

Keep the fruit together and make another cut.  The seed pretty much falls out.

Easy to use a spoon now to remove the flesh - or of course could slice with knife to what every size you want and then remove it from the skin.  I think at least sometimes you can then pull the skin back and have the flesh pop out.

* I saw this on a YouTube of a guy cooking something else.  He was a chef working in an empty kitchen.  I didn't subscribe to his channel and can't remember his name.  During his taping he cut his hand or finger and wrapped a towel around it.  As he spoke for the rest of the show one could see the blood spreading out on the towel.  

So that was the weekly round up!

: )


2 comments:

  1. Nice quilts but the avocado got my attention! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a good tip to try out! Thanks for coming by and commenting Pamela!

      Delete

Feedback is welcome!