Saturday, October 17, 2020

Autumn Jublilee Row Quilt Along - Make Sure You Vote!

(From My Carolina Home) Carole is now onto her third row for this quilt.  This week there are just five maple leaf blocks to make.  

I think, as her previous quilt projects have all been, this will be another winner.

If you have some good fall color fabrics, and time, you should click over to see what she is sharing!



So today, I continued moving boxes and things from the sewing room and put them into the bedroom.  Made enough room that I could ask my husband to help me raise the cutting table up around 8 inches from normal now - so hopefully I will be able to cut the binding for the baby gifts I need to work on, without my back hurting!

His cousin has two children. One married for two years and other for like two and half years.  Anyway, they are both expecting babies this December.  So I am making them each a binding trimmed baby towel with a hood, wash clothes, and a round play quilt.  The items need to arrive there by October 25 when they have their zoom baby shower.

Last week and maybe before I worked on picking out and actually buying a piece of fabric.  (Villa Rosa Designs delivery was quick!) So the fabric is washed and ready to cut.

I tested a new-to-me way of making binding.  It probably is a wonderful way, but so far I haven't gotten it to work for me as my test sewing is not resulting in a lined up evenly line of binding.

The directions are to take a fat quarter.  Fold to make a square to get the diagonal.  Press and cut the diagonal.  Then open the two pieces, pull so face down and line up the uncut longer sides.  Sew together, then cut your strips along the bias.  Then it's just a matter of lining the pieces up right sides together - with equal tabs out each side and sew.  It's that last part where I mess up.  I think I should have squared up the sides of the fat quarter before starting.

Anyway, I may try to get my sample piece so it's correct before going on to make my binding.

  • For each 42-inch circle I need 11 feet of binding.
  • For each 30-inch square towel with hood I need 12.5 feet of binding.  And for each two 12-inch wash cloths I need 8.5 feet binding.

So it's nice to sit with the little dog and watch Star Trek TNG, but I'd better get going on the gifts!

I guess first I need to go to the post office to mail the letters, to encourage people to vote, that I wrote with Vote Forward.


Every vote counts!  Some elections are decided by just a few ballots. 
Make sure you let the decision makers know how you feel. 
Have an impact on the issues that are important to you.  Vote!

My son took the letters to the post office for me...


Saturday - I made about 30 ft of binding and I cut one of the 42 inch circles, and draped the batting to relax over night.

Sunday - I sandwiched one of the play quilts and cut one of the towels with hoods.  I quilted the play quilt.  Going to apply the binding now, using this kind of beginning and end.  Makes it very easy for a circle binding to do it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!