Monday, July 26, 2010

WSF Sampler - FMQ Sea Algae

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2009/09/day-41-sea-algae.html

Before Sewing
Watched the video. Since it has been a little while since I have done this, I’m anticipating the curves might be a problem, but maybe not!

The end picture shows the design upside down from how she did the sewing… There is no flipping of fabric so that will make it easier!

Starts with sort of straight line that curves back and forward to the right. Then you go back on that line to the start of the big curve. Go down from that point to make another upside down question mark shape. Once you reach the bottom travel up adding off shoots to the inside of each of the question mark shapes.
Front Sea Algae
After Sewing
Making the upside down question marks were easier than I thought they would be. Traveling on the already stitched lines also didn’t seem as foreign as I thought it would be.

I am working with 8 inch squares so the amount of fabric covered is more than what Leah shows in her videos. I found myself sort of holding the needle while the machine was going and then readjusting where my hands were, so there are globs of thread on the back. I don’t think this is because of the needle or thread or bobbin tension, I think it’s because I’m sewing several stitches while moving my hands. So for the next design I’m going to try to stop the machine with the needle down – then readjust hands.

A bigger issue is that the lines on the bottom do not look the same as the lines on the top. The back has more sort of echoing that shows up as one stitch line on the front. This might be because I removed the pins so they would not catch on the side of the sewing table. So on the next design I will keep more pins in. Since this is a design that is done in a column that will be easy to do I think.

Added: I also see now that in both this and the next design I was supposed to have the offshoots all pointing in reverse direction from the question mark ending.   Amazing that I missed this important part of the designs the first time I tried them!

Back Sea Algae