Saturday, January 6, 2018

Starry Bright Sky QAL - Pattern 1 Raw Edge Applique

Starry Bright Sky QAL 


Oh boy, raw edge applique.  So many little details.  I practiced again with gentle curves...

Believe it or not, this was better than I did this when I tried last year.  But last year it discouraged me so much that I quit the project and missed out on the fun.  This year I decided to simplify this first design so I could have a January block finish and be in the group.

Instead of doing the curves on the inside, 

I used a ruler to mark a smaller version of the star for an opening.  This will be doable!

I creased the background fabric to show the center.  But when I looked at the background it was too near an edge, so I moved the design down. 

Used a ruler to verify my placement.  

I was in the sewing room for three hours - starting after I found the tape and paper scissors to work with the design.

I unplugged the foot peddle so I could control the machine and speed with the buttons, so there was no jamming or problems while do this outlining.

I have a finish!

 Here is the front

And here is the back!

Again this is a modification of Alida's design.  I just don't have the skills right now to do all the details, but already I can see others in the group have done her blocks (she gave us two patterns to pick at least one to do) and they are beautiful.

This QAL has just started, it's not too late for you to join in to make the beautiful quilt Alida has designed.  In addition to the blocks, I'm looking forward to making the extra blocks that have folds and creases in the fabric - to make textured blocks!

I've linked this post up to the group page:
Go ahead and see the pretty blocks folks are posting to the site!




Alida:  "I have designed 22 unique star blocks, with 11 different techniques and few techniques are completely new and never used in any of my previous QALs!!!"

5 comments:

  1. That's a great improvement over next year! Very smart to modify the pattern to your current skill level. And now you can follow along and will end up with your own gorgeous star quilt :)

    My machine only does straight stitches, so zigzag and blanket stitches are out for me. But I'm experiementing with the Crafted Applique technique. We'll see where that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooop, I meant "last year" not next year!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Louise. I'm thinking of doing the block again just using straight stitches. A lady in one of my classes used straight stitches to add some blocks to her backing and it looked really nice.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!! I really really love the idea that you found out what works for you and you adapted the block! I will share a similar "frustration" experience in my next post on Monday, and I hope that many people will be encouraged to take these patterns and make them work for their own quilt and style! Thanks for sharing and for linking the block!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alida! I'm looking forward to participating in this year's QAL.

      Delete

Feedback is welcome!