Friday, December 16, 2011

Tumbler Edges

Boy there are a lot of details to track when sewing.  But first, I thought about how I wanted to edge the quilt.  I found by reading blogs that by cutting a piece in half and sewing at the end, a straight edge would appear.  That sounded pretty good to me.  I sewed my rows so there was a beige piece at the beginning and end of each row - but then realized that I need to add another piece so the half pieces would line up.  I looked at it and decided I didn't like all the beige at the edge so decided to add so the edge right before the half piece of beige would be a color.  So some of the rows now start with two colors - or end with two colors.  It too a while for me to figure the new colors to use - as now most of them are duplicate fabrics.  So I did that, and added them to two rows - then sewed the rows together.  The second set went together quickly - but then I realized I had flipped the order so I ripped the row out, repressed and sewed it down again.  I finished a third pair now and think I have the hang of it.  I took one of the finished rows to the twin bed - it hangs over about 10 inches!  but right now it's shorter than a twin so I might need to add top and bottom rows.....

Tomorrow I will wear my fitbit so I can see how many steps I take to finish the next pair of rows.  I have the ironing board set up in the dining room area - as that is where I have my pieces laid out.  It takes so long to do, I will not have this done in time to use the basting table at the class - but know how much extra pressing I'll have to do if I fold it up so will keep it on the bed if I have to use the dining room table before I can get to the basting table.

A came by to see if he could recognize any fabric he had gotten me, but since we didn't exchange gifts last year I didn't get the fabric....  I pointed out the fabric I had made him shorts or pants with when he was little....

Now that I see how easy it is to get the straight edge, I think I will experiment with some of my remaining tumblers.  It might be interesting to  add a narrow strip and surround it by the half pieces.  I'm not sure.  I want to finish this up before I have to move it all, and put in boxes.

The fabric in the bottom left corner - I bought today at a thrift shop.  Got about two yards for $1.70!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!