Sunday, October 3, 2021

Week 30: Starting to Spark

Intake of Ideas for Quilting

1. Attended a very nice zoom EBHQ Lecture last Monday.
Finding My Voice in Modern Quilting by Audrey Esarey
Gallery: https://www.cottonandbourbon.com/quilt-gallery
Audrey took art classes before high school, is a project manager now, but really embraced making quilts. It was enjoyable to watch.

2. Thursday was the third in the
In the Studio with Lauren (Kingsland) Eventbrite Series Sponsored
by The Georgetown Lombardi Arts and Humanities Program

I figured out what the second assignment was, and may work on the three of them instead of going thru more boxes this week.  I might be able to get caught up with the Color class assignments now that my sewing room is straightened up!

3. I attended an interesting two-days of YouTube presentations hosted by the Global Quilt Connection. Teachers pay a fee to join the group, then they prepare short presentations. A technique they want to share, or how to do a simplified version of one of their other patterns. After paying the membership fee the teachers apply to be on the list to give a presentation. Presentation is given (not recorded) but a handout is prepared that is supposed to guide viewers so they can recreate the project. The handout includes lists to their websites and contact information to make it easy for guilds or individuals to sign up for further, more detailed, instruction. This is a great way for new teachers, or teachers just trying out a new way to market themselves to get their names out. Yes, it was a marketing event, but most of the presentations were well-done and I learned something I will try out once I am sewing again.

The highlights for me were:
  • Brandy Maslowski Fibre Art Frenzy Wine Bottle Bag
  • Candy Grisham Perfect Mitered Corners on Borders - Every Time
  • Daisy Aschehoug Simple Basting Tricks for Sewing Quarter Circle Squares
  • Jane Hauprich Free Motion Frolic
  • Tori McElwain - Quilting Motifs: Design with Confidence
  • Jenny Kae Parks How Quilters Can Use the Color Wheel
  • Susie Monday Design Fabrics with Pattern Apps
  • Tina Craig Improv English Paper Pieced Mug Mat
  • Julia McLeod Ties to Quilting - Using Neckties in your Quilts
  • Sarah Goer Cutting Tips for Improv Piecing
  • Lisa Walton Further Fusion Adventures
Go to Global Quilt Connection to see the entire list of teachers and to see either the same presentations I did or previous or future ones.  I can't tell if they charge guilds for this, but the webpages I link to are public so I'm sharing with you.  They are having a scavenger hunt with opportunity to win a basket of items for your guild - see the website. 

-----------------

It's been nice to have a cleaner sewing room, but I have just been going in it to impress myself so far.

Buffy is doing a lot better, but she is sleeping so much.  From what I have read, dogs do sleep alot.  I guess I didn't notice as much before as she was moving around anywhere she wanted in the house to get to the sun, or get away from it - all on her own.  We have blocked off the living room as there are so many boxes in there now, and although she does a great job of getting up to the second floor (11 steps) on her own, she goes down way too quickly.  I'm afraid she could crash and hurt herself, so only have had her to that on a leash.  We are still noting her food intake and outtake, when she goes outside in backyard or for walks.

I have waited so long to record our family food intake and shopping that I'm not sure if I can keep up that recording.  I haven't been walking much, and have only done a few planks or leg exercises on my own.

Yesterday my husband and I went to an open air restaurant and had a real meal together. 
Point Loma Seafood:  https://pointlomaseafoods.com/
We each had a scallop plate with coleslaw.  We ate inside as the upper deck was crowded with people and the inside did not have many people.  We were able to look out over the boats while we ate.  Very nice.  I brought my Mom there a few times, and even went by for an iced tea by myself once they built the second story.  So nice to be outside and to see the seals, boats and people.
We could see a new business for renting paddle boats, and there were seals who would come up every once in a while too.  The seals used to enjoy that area at the foot of the ramp that now has boats on it, so they were farther out than before.

Woke up this morning to find out about the oil spill in Orange County.  That is about 2 hours by car from us.  I hope they are able to control the spill and save the wildlife areas.  As DH and I were driving yesterday we talked about (or maybe it was just me talking) how it was important for cities to keep some of the old, open area or special businesses to retain the character of their areas.  

It is still hot and the ants are having a field day finding different paths into and out of the kitchen and bathrooms.  To trick them we are doing what we always have done with Buffy's food - move it to different areas.  So her smelling is really getting a workout.  She lifts the blankets and crawls under - it was fun to see her little tail sticking out the other day.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!