Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How Curved Seams Work

 I drew some lines on fabric so I could see how adding curved seams would effect the fabric and the size of a block.
 Here I cut the initial seam.
 Sew that seam together.
 Flatten it out.
 After pressing it I put on the ruler to show the size.
 I turned the fabric and cut another curve.
 Sew it.
 Flatten and show the changed size.
 Cut another curve.
 Sew.
 Flatten to show it.
 Trim it up
Same block on other corner of the ruler.

You can see how the lines shifted and disappeared - and how much smaller the square is after the three seams are sewn!

It was easier to do when I started the curve cut after a bit - so the first 1/4 inch or so is sort of straight.

Here are some links to nice tutorials on curves:


Sewing Easy Curves for Quilts

Wonky Wavy Seams (uses lots of pins)


Added July 28 2011 or after:

Link Shared by Lib-Quilter Clare  http://dordognequilter.blogspot.com/
http://threadbender.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-squiggle.html

Link Shared by Lib-Quilter Sylvia Arman
Video on curved seams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!