Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Weeks 37-38: Box Progress

Not sewing yet.

I did attend the first in the new series of zoom lectures by Lauren Kingsland.  You can probably sign up too.

Here is the class write up:

In the Studio with Lauren
by The Georgetown Lombardi Arts and Humanities Program
8- week FREE, online workshop on THURSDAYS Sep. 16th - Nov. 4th, 2021, 12-1pm EST. Relax, Learn, & Community! Theme for the series: Colors  (There is a Tuesday class too.)

About this event

Love Those Colors

“I love the colors in your quilt!” Is a compliment that always brings a smile to a quiltmaker. The basic principles of color interaction are important tools in our artistic toolbox. In this class weekly hands-on exercises will help you understand how YOU see color and how to manage to get the effects you want. Lauren will share color “recipes” and tricks to give you color confidence. Hands-on homework projects will be simple hand piecing OR may be done by gluing or fusing.

Students will need small fabric pieces ( 6” square or larger) of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple in light, medium and dark values. Bring what you have to the first class.

A looseleaf notebook may be used to create your own color reference book if you wish

Who is this class for?  You! This class is for anyone who is interested in learning a new skill and being a part of a growing community. Beginners are welcome.

Accessibility Notes:  This class is closed captioned.

About Instructor:  The class will be led by Georgetown Lombardi Arts and Humanities Program (AHP) Artist-in-Residence Lauren Kingsland.

Lauren is an internationally known and beloved teacher, specializing in the intersection of art and healing. Her medium of first choice is quiltmaking and fiber art. Lauren is the author of several books, including “Healing Journey - Quilts about Transformation in the Presence of Cancer” and “The Extraordinary T-shirt Quilt - A Scrapbook You Can Sleep Under” as well as an experienced singer, and mindfulness practitioner.

No one read the descriptions, as we didn't bring our fabric pieces to class.  Lauren discussed hue and value and showed examples.  Our homework is to make a nice patch (or anything really) with different reds.

I am finally cleaning up my sewing room and will look for examples of red and orange fabric so I will be prepped for last week and this coming week.  

Also need to find the fabric I'll be using for the two classes I take next week with EBHQ: 

VIRTUAL WORKSHOP - AUDREY ESAREY AKA COTTON AND BOURBON - Abstract Arcs


The Abstract Arcs Quilt is a pattern that can be made into a small wall hanging or a large bed quilt! This workshop covers the concepts of curved piecing, inset strips, and improv piecing. We will also discuss the use of color in this quilt, as well as layouts that emphasize the use of negative space. Students will finish several blocks during class.

Haven't decided at all what colors to use for this!


VIRTUAL WORKSHOP - AUDREY ESAREY AKA COTTON AND BOURBON-Indigo Radial Quilt


The Indigo Radial Quilt is a wall hanging made using paper piecing and curved piecing techniques. This workshop covers the basic concepts of paper piecing on an arc, curved piecing skinny arcs, and precision piecing. We will also discuss color options, alternate layouts using templates provided in the pattern, and quilting ideas. Students will finish several blocks during class. The Indigo Radial Quilt finishes at 24 x 24 inches.

I'm thing perhaps different violets, purples and red or gold for my piece.

-----------

I had both my sewing machines maintained after a long break when I didn't use as I wasn't sure I should with the strange noises I started hearing when I was finishing the Christmas exchange blocks.

So I can also work on my EBHQ Lone Robin Quilt.  If I can finish before October 1 then I can be in the drawing - but probably won't be able to do that.  But perhaps if I find my notes on what I was going to make!

So hopefully my quilting and sewing will be starting up again.  And I will be able to continue going thru boxes too.

I had signed up for the classes I think when I saw that the  paperwork for the taxes would be submitted ahead of the deadline....  I have also been going thru boxes of papers and paperwork and making pretty good progress with tossing things, putting things into current file folders, and even started some scanning and then shredding.  I can see clearly now that no one will ever want to look at the records of things saved for tax preparation, so that will make that part of the adventure easier to do.

The first box I grabbed to scan happened to have the papers for my mom starting the year my father passed away and ending I think seven years later.  I had all the papers for when her home flooded and new flooring and kitchen had to be installed.  What a headache that was!  That sure reminded me of why I keep putting off having big things done to this house...  Also there were records for her medical care and all the work hiring extra people to help with caregiving.  That was really hit or miss on quality of care and record keeping.  I don't know if anyone could learn from the experiences I had.  I think unfortunately each person has to navigate the various systems and people themselves.  At least here in California.

Buffy is making wonderful progress.  She now has two or three walks a day.  Different lengths depending mainly on her mood, but when it has turned out to be hot I sort of move us toward home.  I think she was okay with that too though.

Sep 13 - her wounds are really healing well.  We are getting use to how she looks now and doing a better job of working with her so she is getting better with going up and down stairs and getting to places she wants to go.  She obviously feels better than she did before the operation.

Sep 16: Before I knew she was going to have the operation I also got her a new squeaky and crunchy toy.  She plays with this more often than her older ones. Fun to let her have it a little bit each day....

Sep 20: I had gotten her this game before I knew she would have operation.  You put a treat under each little cap - she smells it and bites to lift it up to get the treat!

A nice sunset in the neighborhood.

Sep 18:  A few years ago I got this canvas crate/bed from a neighbor.  Buffy didn't really like to sleep in it, but she would eat her food when it was placed inside. 
So I used when we were in hotels with her for that.  

Now Buffy really likes going in here to snooze. I have it so it makes her pen larger as the bed now is part of the wall. 

I like the way I can look down at her too.

Dogs sleep more than I realized.  
She has several hours of interaction time though that is very, very nice indeed.

My friend and I are back to walking - in the evenings though now as then if Buffy doesn't want to walk as long as I do, then my son or husband can watch her while I continue walking!  I'm looking forward to starting my online exercise sessions again too - but that will be after Buffy is better alone again, and I have more boxes finished.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!