Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wed Feb 20: Eddie Izzard


Fitbit Daily Activity: 14424 steps taken, 18 floors climbed (You have climbed: The Leaning Tower of Pisa),  6.01 miles traveled, 2308 calories burned, 779 active score.

I pulled myself out of bed at a better time than yesterday, weighed myself, did some email, had some lunch, then left to see if the local fabric places happened to have a quilting foot for the wonderful Singer that wonderful lib-quilter Audrey got me on Freecycle.

Took a different street, went down Hamphire Street and ended up sort of near MIT!  Then cut across to Cambridge Street and went to first SEW LOW Discount Fabrics Inc, 473 Cambridge St, Cambridge, MA - they didn't have what I needed, but I did see great looking fleece for $5.99 a yard - I didn't bring my pattern envelope so I wasn't sure how many yards I needed to get for that jacket I want to try to make.  Sewfisticated Discount Fabrics, 14 McGrath Hwy, Somerville, MA also didn't have the quilting foot.  Her fleece didn't look as nice, but she had something called minky that might be good to try....  She did have a tape measure for fifty cents and a piece of batik for $1.49 so I go that before heading to Shaws (Grocery store).  Both fabric places have nice workers - they both referred me to the Davis Square Singer Sewing Machine place so guess I will visit there soon.

Expenses
$ .50 tape measure
 1.49 batik fabric - about 3/4 yard
$2.00 Total

At Shaw's I got pudding, whipped cream, batteries and cake mix - all the essentials.  (ha!) DH made the boboli pizza while I rested a bit and checked on where the evening event was to be held.....

This was the second event we attended put on by the Harvard Humanist group - they are a nice group.  I'm glad they have some events open to the public. (What a deal - tickets to their event were only $25 each - to see Eddie in NYC it's almost $200 a seat!)

When we got home we had some pudding while watching an episode of House of Cards.

"We are delighted to announce that comedian Eddie Izzard will accept the 6th Annual Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award in Cultural Humanism -- an award presented at Harvard University each year by the Humanist Community at Harvard, the American Humanist Association, and the Harvard Community of Humanists, Atheists, and Agnostics.

Previous recipients have included: novelist Sir Salman Rushdie, punk rock star and biologist Greg Graffin, writer/director Joss Whedon, TV debunkers Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman (of the hit show Mythbusters), humorist Stephen Fry, and author Mary Roach.


Held in Harvard’s Memorial Church, a historic building in the center of the campus yard, the award ceremony honors an individual whom we feel has made a superlative contribution to Humanism in world culture. 


In addition to his humor, Eddie Izzard’s political activism, charity work, and support for education reminds us all that the nonreligious can be outstanding members of global society. 


Join us for this celebration, performance, and opportunity to ask questions!"


The Harvard Humanist group is not funded by Harvard, I'm not sure really how they get to insert Harvard in their name.  I need a way to meet people so I'm hoping this group will help with that. I don't need to talk about theology but do need friends here to share some of my time with while my DH is working on his sabbatical projects.

I had emailed the Cambridge Many Helping Hands organization after spending MLK there helping with things and after I got my sewing machine, but have not received an answer yet...  I could be doing some sewing for them while I am here.

I've missed some days of posting - I finished the top for the Quilts for Kids project during that time - after returning from NYC.


Quilts for Kids Project from provided kit.
I don't like the fabric as much as the first kit they sent me (Robots on a yellow background), but it is looking nice now that it's all together.

Now I need to get the quilting foot for this singer machine and the pinmoors so I can baste this baby!  I left a project in San Diego all set to quilt with the first batch of pinmoors that I got last spring.  They are so much easier to use that safety pins!

Linking to Sew Many Ways - Find a Friend Friday - maybe there are some liberated quilters who'd like to walk with me or meet for coffee!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!