Tuesday, August 16, 2011

WSF - FMQ Sampler - Alien Fingers (Beg)

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2009/10/day-75-alien-fingers.html

Before:


I watched the video and traced several blocks with pencil.  Well, really two.  It will be difficult to do the center hands, but I like the idea of thinking alien hands while I do the design.

I had recently broken all my needles and found out that I was pulling the fabric faster than the needle was going down.  So I took a little side step and worked on just doing the stitch in the ditch for a few blocks in another section of this quilt.  So I've lost track of bobbins - I know I broke the needle one time, but I don't remember where I was when I did it....

After:


Again I can't remember where the needle broke - I think the thread broke a few times too.  And the bobbin was catching so the thread broke at least two times.  I have no idea how long it took to do this design...

I don't really love it - but it did get me feeling pretty good about doing this free motion project again, so that's good.

I know I was thinking fingers more than hands... oh well.  When I did the stitching I went around the block then went back and filled it in - the final claw I left so it was all in the middle.



Original Before Note on 7/31/11:

Okay, Leah says she goofed when originally filming Little Hands and Fingers and liked the mistake so is calling it Alien Fingers.
It just goes to show that sometimes your mistakes turn out too good to call them mistakes. Just keep quilting and see what you get.
It may not be what you expected, but it's better than giving up before you've had a chance to see what the design can do.

She says it's for beginners - but based on what happened yesterday (all those broken needles!) I think it should be at least advanced beginner or intermediate.

I only have one needle in the house so I may jump ahead to another design - not sure yet.  I'm still working on my non-quilting stuff - but I took a break to watch the next video....

I've watched the video four times and I've tried to trace the block on the computer screen - man, I can't see how you get to the section once you are at the end of the first row - it looks like it goes like an L.  This is going to be hard. But I will not give up - I'll see what the design can do!